1. Lewd woman; prostitute
2. obsolete, a male servant; a churl
3. A woman in contempt
Per se: anyone, male or female of low birth.
[From Old French ‘herlot’, fellow. ]
1. Low-bred, surly fellow
2. A sordid person
3. A peasant
4. English historical, Anglo-Saxon freeman of the lowest rank or without rank.
[From Anglo-Saxon ‘ceorl’, man.]
Rude, hard to work or manage, intractable
1. Characterized by lust, lustful; carnal- licentious
2. Provencial or Archaic, morally depraved, vicious, wicked
[See the Anglo-Saxon ‘læwed’, lay]
1. promiscuous and unprincipled in sexual matters
2. Archaic, disregarding accepted rules, especially in grammar or literary style
Came into Middle English from the Latin ‘licentiosus’ from ‘licentia’, freedom.]
Funk & Wagners, 1943
Oxford English Concise, 2008
One thought on “Harlot to Freedom [disambiguation]”
Licence to eff shit up.
LikeLiked by 1 person